This is a gorgeous wee salad. The intense colours make it a stunner and the combination of sweet and salty is soooo yummy. It’s super easy as well. If you’ve got no time on your hands and want something a little fancy without going to too much trouble this salad is a winner. I left the skin on the beets and carrots because these are such a great source of fibre and it’s time-saving!
I’ve grilled the veggies at a really high heat because it is a really quick method of cooking and you can just focus on getting some nice caramelisation going on. The veggies have a lovely tender texture on the outside whilst staying deliciously crunchy inside. The quick flash of heat softens the ginger so it can begin to marinate in the juices of the veggies.
Once your grilled veggies have cooled, toss in plenty of fresh fragrant herbs and crumble over your favorite creamy blue cheese! The salad is essentially self-saucing! What could be easier? Divine.
(Serves 4 people as a side)
3 large red beetroot, ends trimmed
2 large orange or purple carrots, ends trimmed
2 red peppers, seeds removed
2 Tbsp (2 thumb sized knobs) finely diced fresh ginger
2 Tbsp liquid honey
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
For the salad:
1 handful picked fresh marjoram leaves
1 handful fresh basil leaves
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 Cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
100g creamy blue cheese (use up to 200g if you’re a big blue cheese fan)
2 spring onions, sliced
1 small red onion, finely diced
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees on fan grill or grill setting.
2. Begin by washing and cutting the veggies. Chop the beets, carrot and red peppers into 2x2cm cubes.
3. Place the veggies in a bowl and toss with the ginger, hon6. ey & olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Lay veggies out on a baking tray (with an edge) and roast on one of the highest racks in the oven, close to the grill for 10 minutes.
5. Pull veggies from the oven and toss with a spoon to turn over. Grill for a further 5-10 minutes until just seared and edges turning golden brown. Cook a little less if you like crunchier veggies.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool
7. Meanwhile, toss the remaining ingredients (except the blue cheese) in a large salad bowl. Once the grilled veggies are cool, you can add these in too. Scrape in any juices from the pan into the salad.
8. Lastly, crumble in the blue cheese in large chunks and toss gently.
9. Serve with crusty garlic bread or alongside a juicy steak.